Tuesday 21 June 2011

OCD About NaCl

Patrick's been advising us to look for low-salt foods, but while I have an idea of normal/good amounts of protein, fat and carbs to eat daily, I realised I never really paid attention to salt. I don't seek out salt, don't add it to my food ever, but Patrick's convinced they're hiding it everywhere. Luckily he pointed me to this article as I had no idea what a large or small amount of sodium in food was. Turns out, 1,000mg a day is right (or 920 - 2,300mg according to the Australian government - I wonder why so wide a range and why so specific the lower number).

So having ignored that ingredient on most foods, I became a bit obsessed about it in the supermarket. Obviously, veggies have whatever salt they have (a carrot = 42mg, squash and zucchini/courgette cooked = 6mg).

However, in basic packaged and prepared (though unprocessed) food the amounts vary widely. Even in fancy swiss-bakery bread, there's a lot of salt - usually between 400-600mg per 100g. The lowest I could find was 195mg.

What about whole-grain pasta versus normal? Surprisingly, though wholegrain is better for you in terms of fibre content, it has more salt than the plain variety. By a factor of 4 (though still quite low compared to bread). Couscous is worse than both of these and brown rice has almost none.

Frozen green peas varies by a factor of 2 between brands with no other obvious difference.

And you think all tuna is equal? No? Well, how about all tinned tuna in spring-water - surely they must be about equal. John West sets the benchmark at 400mg per 100g but an obsessive monomanical search (call me Ahab) revealed a rare beast from beneath the seas, caught, trapped and tinned for Aldi and with only 114mg per 100g. Quite a catch, so I bought 10 to see me through the next few weeks.

Let the hunt continue!

5 comments:

  1. The peas are nice John....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Noel, a good read.
    After Patrick's first video to us, I've now taken to rinsing my canned tuna. Does leave it a bit wet, but chuck it in a pan of veggies, garlic and chilli and it's all good inside 2 minutes.
    The portion size on the sides of cans is not something I used to take much notice of, and so have been allowing myself to be duped for some time. My eyes have been opened today, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel, great catch. What is the brand of tuna? Can you post a pic by popular request. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just a can of tuna in the pantry with 500mg per 100g B&F Tuna which I guess stands for big and fat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suren justin - it's Ocean Rise Yellowfin Tuna Slices in Springwater - 125g. Though funnily enough there were some right beside with identical packaging but 200mg of sodium.

    Kevin, yes, reading the side of produce is pretty boring (but John Major boring, Inés?) but fuck it, that's how I get my kicks now that I'm on PCP.

    ReplyDelete