Sunday 17 July 2011

Back on the Booze Bus

It was my friend, Murf's birthday yesterday and he's been badgering me for weeks about whether I would come out and, more importantly, drink. Well, I decided a few weeks back to do both - you know, just to see what it would be like - and sort of a pat on the back for passing the half-way mark.

After a rushed post-workout snack (I ran out of hard-boiled eggs, so had to down my first ever raw undiluted egg-white - a much less bad experience than anticipated) a few of us went to the very cool Shady Pines. They make a pretty mean old-fashioned there, so I got into those. Instead of the free monkey-nuts on the tables, I ate my afternoon snack - a kiwifruit and a mandarin (highly complementary to the old-fashioned which comes with an orange-peel garnish anyway).

I was very conscious of not wanting to get utterly smashed, so I sipped slowly and also had water between rounds. I ended up drinking 4 of these bad-boys plus two Moo-brew Pale Ales (possibly Australia's finest beer and certainly all-natural) but over a period of almost 5 hours. I didn't get smashed but only because I was concentrating on not getting smashed, and that sort of defeats the fun aspect of drinking. I had lots of good banter with folk and got a few remarks that I was looking trimmer; and I was able to bore people with PCP related guff - it's their own fault for pretending to take an interest. Ultimately though, I just wanted to get home and get some kip; so at 10pm (I know - WILD) I made my excuses and walked back.

Still no boiled eggs, so I cooked up a couple of fresh ones and feasted on the whites. Decided with my extra alcohollow calories (I'm estimating now somewhere between 900-1,100) I would forego the rest of the food and went for a big snooze. Woke up at 5:30 slightly more dehydrated than usual, but fine. I feel a little tired, but not the "crap" reported by other folk. My general feeling is that it was a fun evening but the booze didn't add that much and I'm not in any hurry to repeat the experience.

Instead I'm off to Thomas Dux to stock up on food for the next week. Three-dozen eggs, you have been warned!

6 comments:

  1. Bruce, seeing as you asked, immediate effect on the graph is neutral (down 200g from yesterday - fat % steady).

    However, as Patrick noted in one of his blogs, your body today is a reflection of the choices you made 1-2 weeks ago. I'm hoping in the sea of good PCP choices, this will be but a drop of blood - that will hopefully not attract more alcohol sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was there any point going out, having six drinks and not getting smashed and then going home at 10pm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's kind of the point. I guess the counter-question would be "is there any point to going out, having 12 drinks, getting smashed and getting home at 2am?"

    Before the PCP I wouldn't have asked that question (well, it might have been a tiny little voice); I would have just done it.

    But by 10pm (I had been out since 5pm) I realised I had spoken to everyone I wanted to and I was tired and drunk enough and that the evening probably wasn't going to suddenly get amazingly better (like the time I thought I was done but joined a house-party in the home of some strippers).

    Would 1 more hour have made it worthwhile? How about 2 hours? Or maybe 3 more drinks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get me wrong; it was a great night and I enjoyed the buzz of alcohol; but it was in perspective - nice but by no means necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, where's your gut gone??? You gotta be pleased with your photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on having fun and doing everything in moderation. I'm sure the animal in Noel is still lurking in there but also respect the fact that you can keep it at bay while we do the 90 day PCP. good on you and well done on the photos too. We went for that breakfast and I did have that croissant but sadly it wasn't as good as I was hoping for.

    ReplyDelete